Thursday, June 23, 2011

Bake It Up

Summer before my freshman year at collage I was nervous but excited. I was signed up for the baking and pastry program at Johnson and Wales University.A couple of weeks before I left for Providence I decided to make the switch to the culinary arts. Now two years later I am finished with my culinary program and moving on to FSM (food service management) to get my bachelors degree. But in the back of my mind there is always the "what if" I did do baking and pastry. I always thought it would be easier to get a job in a kitchen but as time goes on I realize yes, it might be easier but would I be happier? I have no idea.
So I have decided to spend this summer working on my baking chops. (I will be doing a baking and pastry concentration along with FSM, which includes five baking labs which I am super excited about!)

So here is a look at whats been cookin' in my kitchen


Red velvet mix before going into the oven

Seems like the mix tasted goood.. 

mmm out of the oven 

with a cream cheese frosting and cherries in a simple syrup :)

Mini Quiche out of the oven :)

Mini Quiche recipe:
2 large eggs
2T milk
1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup diced zucchini
1/2 cup diced tomatoes
sliced olives
olive oil
garlic
nonstick spray
(I made a double batch of the batter. And you can add whatever vegetables you would like including peppers and spinach, I just used whatever was in my fridge)

How To:
1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees
2. In a medium bowl beat two large eggs. Mix in the milk and the flour. Mix until there are no lumps in the batter. 
3. In a medium saute pan heat the olive oil over medium/high heat. Saute the zucchini, tomatoes, and garlic. 
4. Spray a mini cupcake pan with the nonstick cooking spray. Fill each cup with your sauteed veggies. 
5. Pour the egg batter on top of the veggies. Do Not fill to the brim! The quiche will puff up in the oven
6. Bake for about sixteen minutes. The quiche should firm up and turn a nice golden brown. 

I topped mine with some salsa :)
Stay tuned for more baked goods coming your way soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment