Friday, June 12, 2015
Happy Friday my blogging friends! Another work week has come to pass and the weekend is finally upon us. When you are living for the weekend, how do you make the work week something you enjoy just as much? When life get's stressful there are a couple of things I have started doing that puts me in good spirits for more than just three days out of the week.
1. Yoga. This is my fourth week doing yoga and I have to say it really has changed the vibe of my entire week. I go to yoga class every Thursday in Newport and there is something so serene about the entire thing. The drive over- cooling down from the days events. The actual class- that puts everything into perspective for you. The drive home- when the sun is just setting as you drive over the bridge from Newport with the windows down and your music up. All of the worries of the week simply fade in that moment.
2. Meditation. This falls in line with yoga, as Meta Meditation is something that is a part of the yoga class that I attend. In addition to that, meditating first thing in the morning right when my alarm goes off has been an amazing up-lifter. It gets me in the right frame of mind to tackle the day. An awesome tool is the Headspace App. Just 10 minutes in the morning is all it takes.
3. Work Out. Another thing that has been getting my body feeling good is working out just 7 minutes a day using the seven minute workout app. Sweating out all of the bad energy that you may have felt during the day winds you down for the night and sets you up for a good nights rest. This app goes through the workouts in intervals, tells you when to change positions, and gives you step by step instructions. You can do the seven minute challenge for two more rounds for a full on session that leaves you feeling accomplished.
4. Cooking. Okay this one should be an obvious one unless your name is Casey and have a chronic obsession with tacos. I am awful when it comes to cooking at home. After a long day there is nothing I would rather do than just pick up something on the way home. I do not want to go through the motions of preparing a meal just for myself. This is why I have started weekend prepping. For example: I will buy ground turkey and then make five individual turkey burgers, zip lock em, and put them in the freezer for the week. That way all I need to do is plug in the George Foreman and grill it up. My body and my wallet thank me for this change.
Friday, June 5, 2015
I am back with one of my favorite features on the blog - my seasonal bucket list. I love looking back on how my goals change through the years. As I change the things that are important change with me. Here are my five goals for this summer.
1. Shut off. I am going on vacation at the end of the month for the first time in two years. To say this is much needed is an understatement. Work is burning me out and I need a little time away to refresh. And what better way than spending it in the happiest place on earth with the family. I am also going to get to see some long lost friends and I could not be more excited! So my goal throughout my nine day trip is to shut off from work, email, and social media, and just enjoy myself. (other than the occasional insta of course!)
2. Spend it by the water. Every year I say I will spend more time at the beach. This is the year I actually follow through. There is nothing more calming than the sound of the ocean.
3. Concerts, Festivals, etc. I want to go to as many summer concerts and festivals as humanly possible. What's better than being in the sun with an ice cold beer, some good friends, and good tunes. I will be kicking this one off this weekend at the Food Truck Festival, and I could not be more excited to get this summer rollin.
4. Fall in love. With myself, with life, with experiences. This is the summer of Casey. This is my time to take the time I need for myself. I've started yoga and meditation, I have started enjoying cooking for myself again, and I am learning to enjoy those days you have on your own.
5. Work Hard. As much as I am excited to have down time on my vacation, I also have a new found fire to kick ass at my job. I had it, I lost it a little, and now it's back. With the nice weather comes a new found motivation. There's nothing better than completely killing it all day every day.
Thursday, June 4, 2015
It has been too long since I have shared a Saturday Caturday post here on the blog - have you all missed your weekly dose of George Washington? He has been his normal sweet and sour self, leaving me constantly entertained.
In March this little one gave my quite the scare - he was throwing up for days, wouldn't eat or drink, and looked miserable. I took him to the doctors twice, put him on two different kinds of medicine, until finally I had to bring him to the hospital where he stayed overnight on iv's. It took two more days of recouping until he finally started getting back to himself. It was a a draining week - my then boyfriend and I had just broken up and I was on my own trying to take care of this little guy. It was an experience but it made me stronger - I realized when everything piles up at once I can make it through. This little guy is one of the best things to ever come into my life and I am thankful for him everyday. And I constantly remind myself of that as he knocks down my water glasses at three in the morning and prevents me from having any plants in the house.
But boy are you are worth it my little Georgie. I mean who can resist that tongue?