Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Coffee Equals Water?

This morning as I was drinking my coffee and reading my favorite blogs I came across the newest post on fitfoodiefinds.com where Lee talks about how she almost passed out in one of her classes due to lack of water. She had realized that while driving to her class at 6:45pm she had not had any water all day, just her coffee.
 
I thought to myself "I do that everyday!" I began thinking about how much water I drink daily vrs. how much coffee I drink. Yesterday alone I did not drink a glass of water until 9:30pm, meanwhile I drank 3 cups of coffee throughout the day. I guess I feel like I am putting liquid in my body so I do not notice the lack of water intake.
I then began to think of the increasing amount of headaches I have been getting the past two weeks.
 
Could these be linked? Yes Casey.
 
 
Water hydrates your body while Coffee actually dehydrates you.
Dehydration: when your body does not have as much water and fluids as it should.
Symptoms include but are not limited to:
1. dry mouth
2. lethargy
3. dark urine
3. dizziness
4. light headedness
 
Besides the obvious there are many benefits of drinking more water:
1. It boosts your metabolism
2. Reduces the risk of headaches (there it is!)
3. It boosts brain power
4. Shinier hair and younger skin
5. lowers stress levels
 
So how much water should you be drinking daily? According to WebMD (the leader in all things medical related, right?) you should drink 6-8 eight ounce glasses of water a day.
 
Get bored with just plain ol' H2O? How about making an infused water. They are an easy and flavorful way to get in your daily water without any additives.
 
 
 
So there it is folks. If you are like me you are probably dehydrating yourself with the amount of coffee you drink to "make it through the day".
Join me in my pledge to drink more water today!

No comments:

Post a Comment