Sunday, October 12, 2014

Bourbon Apple Pie

Today I have for you a little twist on a classic apple pie. If you are going to do any baking this season at all, I assume that it will be some sort of apple pie. Well I have a recipe that will up your apple pie cred and really wow your friends, and it is all with a little help from our friend Jim. 

I used two pillsbury pie crusts to make my pie, cheating I know, but you can make a simple pie crust if you want to get really fancy. Oh how I wish I had a kitchen aid. 



Anyway, let's get into the real star of the dish, the filling. You are going to need about three to four good sized apples, 3/4 cup brown sugar, 2 tablespoons of flour, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon (or a little more if you are like me and absolutely love cinnamon), 1/4 teaspoon of salt, and lastly two tablespoons of bourbon. 

Place one layer of the pie crust in the tin and top with the apple mixture. Place the second layer of dough on top and crimp the edges. Be sure to cut slits on the top of the pie to let out the steam during cooking. You can also add an egg wash to the top of the pie as well to make it really shine. 



Put the pie in a 420 degree oven for about 30 minutes. Then take your pie out and cover the edges with aluminum foil. This will prevent your pie from burning around the edges. Then place back in the oven and bake for an additional 30 minutes. 

Take your pie out of the oven and let it cool before cutting into it, something I failed to do and the filling spilled everywhere. Patience people, it's a virtue. 


If you are going to make any pie this season it should be this one. The bourbon brings a great caramelized flavor to the pie making it extra delicious. 


xo. Casey

No comments:

Post a Comment