Tuesday, August 5, 2014

From Rental To Home; The Apartment Hunt

We have officially been in our apartment for about three months now and I have to say I grow more in love with it every day. We have been slowly accumulating pieces that we love, and the place is really beginning to look like ours. 

The apartment hunt wasn't all smooth sailing however. We looked at a place that had creepy doors  in the living room that people in the apartment next door had keys to, a place that had a huge industrial heater in the kitchen, a place that was the size of our current living room, and way too many places across the street from cemeteries. I was getting frustrated spending hours a day on craigslist searching through post. Finally after a crushing no from one apartment I was ready to give up. As I logged on to craigslist right at the top there was a new posting for an apartment in East Providence that looked nice, was in a good location, and most importantly in our price range. I called right away and scheduled a showing. James had work so I brought along a friend to get a second opinion. 

We walked in and I was immediately interested. It had everything that we wanted in an apartment. It had a nice sized kitchen, a bedroom that opened up to the living room creating a nice open floor plan, an extra room to use as a studio, tons of storage space, huge closets, was on the second floor, and what totally sealed the deal- a balcony. Another couple had been looking at the space before us and I knew I didn't want to loose it, so after sending a couple of pictures over to James and getting the "I trust your decision text" I put down a deposit right there. Two days later after our background checks came back we got the call - the apartment was ours! We were so relieved, happy, excited, and even a little nervous. It was going to be a new adventure moving in to our first apartment together and we didn't know what to expect. 

Three months later I now know that it was the best decision I could have made. With our crazy schedules we don't get to see each other much, but knowing that you will get to see him that night and in the morning makes all the difference. Watching our shows at night or having coffee together in the morning before work are some of my favorite moments. 

I have been spending weekends at Target, Home Depot, Christmas Tree Shop, thrift stores, and shopping online putting together the pieces that would turn our rental into a home. I am super excited to begin sharing my favorite spots in the apartment, how I decided on decor, simple projects, and room tours with you in a series I am calling "From Rental To Home". 

But first the before pictures! These were taken the first day I went to see the apartment. These are also the pictures I sent over to James that day to get his opinion on the place. We both immediately saw the potential, and I love looking back on how the place has really transformed.

The Kitchen 

The Bathroom

The Living Room


The Bedroom

The Studio

And here are a couple of pictures from our moving in adventures! We had a fun time going out a choosing the pieces that worked for us. We also moved the furniture around in a few different configurations until we finally settled on a style that worked for us visually and functionally. 





We had a fun (and sometimes stressful) time putting putting together the many pieces of furniture. We spent a lot of late nights sitting on the floor, eating pizza, and putting together the pieces of our new home. It was an experience I will never forget with someone I love.

xo. Casey

1 comment:

  1. You've got an adorable apartment. I like the look of your bedroom, which is very you. I'm loving the look of your bathroom as well. The NYC-themed decor is uber cool. Thank you so much for sharing your apartment with us! Cheers!

    Leonard George @ ReMax Crest

    ReplyDelete